WebMD cites a study from the recent issue of Molecular Psychiatry on the incidence of mental illness in American adults:
- 1.7% developed alcohol dependency
- 1.51% developed major depression
- 1.12% developed generalized anxiety disorder
- 1.02% developed alcohol abuse
- 0.62% developed any panic disorder
- 0.53% developed bipolar I disorder
- 0.44% developed a phobia
- 0.32% developed drug dependency
- 0.32% developed social phobia
- 0.28% developed drug abuse
- 0.21% developed bipolar II disorder
Although the rates seem low, the author points out that the risks are greater than those for lung cancer, stroke, or cardiovascular disease.
Read the article on WebMD.