There's a credible rumor going around that the Canon EOS 5D is due to be announced on August 22nd, with shipping to commence in October. According to the info sheet I saw, it features:
- 12.8 megapixel full-frame (24mmx36mm)
- 3 frames per second (60 frame burst JPEG; 17 frames RAW)
- 9 point autofocus (w/ 6 invisible points)
- Compatible with all EF lenses (but not EF-S)
- CF cards
- Batteries use same BP-511a as the 10D/20D (yeah!)
- New battery grip BG-E4
- 152mm x 113mm x 75mm; 810 grams
Whether or not this is true or just yet another fake is unknown. If it is true, then this is definitely the camera that I've been waiting for. I've been holding off on the 1D series since they are just too large and, at 1.5 kg each, too heavy for me. The 5D seems to be in the EOS-3 form factor -- much smaller and lighter (810g). The only trade-off appears to be the lethargic frame-rate of only 3 frames per second. But we are talking of pumping 12 megapixels with each shot. One rumor has the price at 2500 euros, which is about $3000, which seems reasonable.
We'll know on August 22nd if any of this is true. There were also hints of the release of the "EOS 1D MkIIN". Exciting times, indeed.