In 2007, after years of weighing the possible risks, Elyn R. Saks, a professor of law at the University of Southern California, published a memoir of her struggle with schizophrenia, “The Center Cannot Hold.” It became an overnight sensation in mental health circles and a best seller, and it won Dr. Saks a $500,000 MacArthur Foundation “genius” award.http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/health/23livesside.html
Info - Useful information: December 2011 Archives
Thought the 1/2000 second shutter on your camera was fast? The NY Times reports on a new generation of scientific cameras with shutter speeds in the femtoseconds -- two-trillionths of a second -- fast enough to catch light moving as a wave: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/13/science/speed-of-light-lingers-in-face-of-mit-media-lab-camera.html
I want to know if I can retrofit it to my Leica III. :-)
- Are you plagued with horizontal rules in Word that won't go away? These horizontal rules are created when you type three dashes --- in a row -- and are almost impossible to get rid of. Deleting them won't work, cutting them won't work. They are immortal. Here's how to get rid of them: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f57/remove-horizontal-rules-ms-word-105393.html
- I needed to add line numbers down the left side of the page to make it easier for copyeditors to mark material. Here's how to do it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee692905.aspx
In both cases, scroll down as the tips are at the bottom of the pages.
A student who is afraid of flying asked me how to survive the fourteen hour flight to Japan. These were my tips:
- Shorten. Take a direct flight. Connections suck.
- Reserve. Make sure to get a seat in the forward half of the cabin. Less turbulence and less claustrophobic.
- Sleep. Don't drink any caffeine on the day of the flight and try to board the plane slightly sleep deprived. If needed, pharmaceuticals can be your friend. Take a (properly prescribed) chill pill or sleeping pill (not both!) and sleep through the entire thing. Alcohol can dehydrate you and make you wake up with a headache, but if a small glass of beer or wine will send you to lala-land, go for it. (I personally can't take either drugs or alcohol, so these last two are based on the advice of seatmates and other travelers).
- Nest. Get a window seat and bring your own neck pillow and fluffy blanket.
- Shutout. Get good earplugs, noise isolating or noise cancelling headphones with a good soundtrack or audiobook on your iPhone, and an eye mask and/or wear a baseball cap (it can shade the cabin light quite well).
Any other tips or suggestions?
Reminder – Call for Films – ETHNOCINECA 2012
Deadline: January 15 2012
Dear colleagues and friends,
ETHNOCINECA is a film festival based in Vienna focusing on ethnographic
and documentary films. We would like to invite you to send us your
contribution(s) or to forward our Call for Films to interested filmmakers,
students and scientists.
You can find more information about the submission process in our entry
For further questions please feel free to contact us.